Apr 18, 2009

In Memory of Raymond James


Raymond James died Saturday April 18th, 2009. He'd been ploughing with his tractor to plant a garden and was about to visit his hunting property when Dawn urged him to stay put because he looked like he was dizzy. Before she could get off the phone to call the medics, he was laying on the ground. They revived him again in the ambulance on the way to the hospital but he wouldn't stay.


We loved him. He is a fixture throughout these pages. He provided guidance and inspiration to scores of music lovers. I sincerely wish I had his ability as a performer to satisfy audiences and make everyone in the room feel welcome and lighthearted.

Georgia has lost a jewel in this native son. He kept up a southern tradition of playing and singing rural folk styles that is an American Tradition and a Cultural Treasure. His love and knowledge of 1930's and 40's country music was first hand and vast. But it was his unique personal style that made him the precious gem that he was. He's left a tremendous wake in his passing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind message and word. May he go home an rest and play music, as he
would love to do. Will be missed,, My God bless all there heart's. Will remember him in prayer's. Mike K.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your friend. I truly wish I had met him.....he sounded like such a wonderful character to know

Loy

Anonymous said...

Keith, I didn't know him, and I assume from this email that this was a sudden death. I'm so sorry. I know you feel the loss. Dottie

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of knowing Raymond for the past 8-9 years,we had met and spent time together at various Bluegrass festivals in S.Georgia--he was indeed a great person and friend,he will be surely missed by all who knew and loved him----Ron "OLE DOG"

Ray James said...

Thank you Keith for this tribute to my dad. He was truly one of a kind and the kindest one. From my birth I had a front row seat to the best music and the best musician I ever knew. Thank you for sharing him with your listeners. Ray James

Develle C Sellers said...

I didn't hear bout Raymond till my Buddy in Texas sent me an email. Loved his appearance at Bluegrass Festivals. We played together many times. Sure gonna miss him.

Anonymous said...

O'le Raymond James, He Was certainly a Georgia Treasure to us here in the parking lot pickin' crowd, we spent many days and nights at various bluegrass festivals with him and his many friends, he will be missed and through the many stories that will be certainly be told about him, his legendary status will grow and live on for the forseeable future. Good bye for now to Raymond James. Grady Ussery