Mar 10, 2012

In Memory of Oren Siders

Oren Siders died Friday march 9th, 2012. I'd spent the day with him Thursday making a mandolin. He seemed fine, but was a little tired as usual. We glued the back on his mandolin, and knocked off early. I learned today, that he had some complication Friday in his abdomen which would normally be treatable, but in his weakened state it was too much.

I remember, at his retirement party, all these people I'd never met saying what I already knew; how he was so generous with knowledge on how to fix things, loaning and sharing tools and instruments and just about anything you can imagine. Almost any time I called him he'd be off somewhere managing the pouring of a foundation, or fixing a pump, or welding and repairing some piece of equipment.

We loved him. He kept the jam going . He made sure we had amps and mikes and a place to play. Whenever we were without a venue he snagged me to go talk to restaurants and we'd find a new place. That's how we wound up at PJ's.

He played bass to support the group but appreciated being relieved so he could practice some lead. It baffled me how he could keep time so well with the base, but "stray so far" with the fiddle! That is, until I tried it! Playing bass is tough, but fiddling' is just an exercise in unmercifully arduous dexterity. At our age, you shouldn't even try, but Oren seemed drawn to big, complex problems. So I was not surprised when he decided to make bluegrass instruments from scratch.

For the last couple of years we've spent Thursdays in his shop working on fiddles and mandolins. We'd shave and tap and tune pieces of wood, listen to a Lester Flatt album from 1952, and give chewing "tebakky" to Dusty his horse who would stick his head in the door to see what's going on. I wouldn't take a herd of horses for that time now.

Adios cowboy, you'll be sorely missed.





Oren's funeral will be held at Williams Funeral home tomorrow (monday march 12th at 2:00, visitation at 1:00)

Funeral Home Listing




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Keith, for passing along that sad news. I'm grateful to have spent a little time playing some music with Oren and crew and PJs. Oren highlights some good memories of a long list of wonderful people I have been blessed to know; most often, sitting around in a circle playing music. I hope you have been doing well.
Thanks again,
David Ladner

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute, Keith. I am just heartbroken at this horrible loss. I have never known a nicer man than Oren Siders. I never heard him say a bad word about anyone and I loved his small chuckle when he thought something was funny. I haven't been with you guys for so long, but I always have thought Oren was the heart and soul of Red Wing. He is the one that kept making me want to come back and play some more. A large piece of that group has been taken away from us now and I know it will never be the same again. We may continue to play, but there will always be that spark missing, that steady bass, that smile or that little chuckle. I am sure going to miss Oren Siders, one of the finest men to have ever blessed me with his friendship.

Paul Heath

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about Oren was lookin forward to meeting him

see you soon

Jim Hughes

Anonymous said...

Keith, this is a beautifully written tribute. I'm touched, even though I didn't know Oren. I do recognize him in the photo, knowing that I saw him with the group, and of course, Dennis knew him.

Dottie McClain

Anonymous said...

What a very nice tribute Keith. I know you will miss him but what a wonderful memory to have of him and your time together.

Marsha

Keith Rowell said...

Oren's funeral will be held at Williams Funeral home tomorrow (monday march 12th at 2:00, visitation at 1:00)

Funeral Home Listing

Anonymous said...

Keith,

I was very touched by your post in memory of your friend Orn and am sorry to hear of his passing. That is very sad and your memory of him was very kind.

Love,
Bec

Rebecca Landel-Hernandez